9.10.2010

007 Mock Thursday

This summer I was having some serious sandwich dinner cravings. They're easy and don't require the use of any heat source. Great weeknight meal after a long ride.
 
A couple of years ago I started a vegetarian diet. It's a long story involving some chickens blah, blah, blah, the ethical treatment of animals, blah, blah, blah, but really sans the chicken story I probably would have ended up vegetarian. Did I love ribs, yes, but does my stomach and digestion now thank me, yes. Do I miss meat, no.
 
This has become one of my favorite sandwich spreads. It's called Mock Tuna Salad. It cracks me up when vegetarian recipe names reflect our meat eating days, but really it kind of tastes like tuna.
 
2 14oz cans garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
dollop of mayo (I use canola oil mayo)
generous squirt of spicy brown mustard
2 spoons sweet relish
3-4 scallions chopped (green onions)
salt and pepper (I usually leave this out, there is plenty of salt in the beans)
 
Drain and rinse the beans. Mash with a fork. Add mayo, mustard, and relish. Stir. Too dry add some more mayo to the constancy you prefer. Add chopped scallions. 

Even if one meal a week is vegetarian it can make an impact on your health and the environment. Go ahead try it. This recipe makes about 5 sandwiches. Enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment